When the panic first hit me I thought, "This is supposed to be the perfect easy vacation." When we are in some travel misery, like stuffed onto a shelf on an over-night bus in India, we joke, "We don't have to be doing this. We could be in the French Alps or Italian lake country." Now we are taking that dream vacation, but, when I reach for my Droid to look up a code we are supposed to check in with, it's not there. I look madly everywhere. My pulse is suddenly about 140 and the last thoughts racing by before my mind completely shuts down were, "My wonderful Global Droid I bought for travel, that has all our calendar and reservations, that is our alarm clock, that I need for this blog, that June is constantly telling me to put down, that I am SO attached to and I can't live or leave without, is GONE." I notice June is giving me slow simple commands like, "Put your boarding pass away." "Close your purse." "Sit down." Now I can't find my boarding pass! I manage to comprehend her suggestion to "Call Felicia." I pace until our dear friend Felicia comes and takes me home to find my cell phone on the dresser where I put it when I changed my pants. My pulse starts to return to normal. I find my boarding pass where I put it in my shoulder bag. I am back in time to go through security and board. I am exhausted.
This trip is to celebrate my reaching 70, but is this what it means -- that I am too old to be trusted with a "smart" phone?
2 comments:
Hilarious, Uncle Dave. Keep writing. And btw, I have learned to ALWAYS create paper backups of essential travel information. As cool as the "smart" phones are, they have a way of failing to connect exactly when I need to pull up a hotel confirmation number.
The moral of the story is what? Get to the airport early so you have time to go home for whatever it is you left behind -- in this case, your brain. And develop really good friendships, especially with people who have reliable cars.
Post a Comment